General / Button and LED Interface
On Powered Nodes the LED is used to report the operating status of the device. This status is valid only while the Node is not being configured and the button has not been pressed to select “command mode”.
The LED has the following states:
- LED OFF: The node is not powered, or there is a problem with the node.
- LED ON SOLID: The node is operating correctly and the node is not commissioned. The node is periodically searching for a commissioning network to join. It will continue in this mode until it successfully joins a network.
- LED ON 3 SECONDs, OFF ¼ SECOND (inverse heartbeat): The node is commissioned but did not join a target network.
- LED ON 1/10 SECOND, OFF 3 SECONDs (heartbeat): The node is operating correctly and is successfully joined to a network.
- LED ON 1½ SECONDs, OFF 1 ½ SECONDs (square wave): The node is operating correctly but has lost contact with the network. When the network is available again, it will automatically rejoin that network. This is only on Nodes Version 2.60 and later.
Using a button sequence on a powered node with LED and Button functions can enable either “Install Mode” or “Site Survey Mode” on that node. When this is done the LED flashes on and off and the speed or frequency of this pulse indicates the signal strength of the network.
- LED Flashing Very Fast – 10 Pulses / second (Light on 50ms, off 50ms): Very good Network Signal, LQI > 200
- LED Flashing Fast – 2 pulses / second (LED on 250 ms, off 250 ms): Good Network Signal, LQI > 150
- LED Flashing Slow –1 pulse / 2 seconds (LED on 1 sec, off 1 sec): OK Network Signal, LQI > 100
- LED Flashing Very Slow – 1 pulse / 6 seconds (LED on 3 sec, off 3 sec): Poor Signal, LQI < 100
This mode expires after 15 minutes for Install Mode and 5 minutes for Site Survey Mode.
A node must be in “command mode” before the button and LED operates as a user interface. To put the node in Command Mode, the button must be pressed for 2 seconds. At this point, a battery powered node will simply switch the LED On Solid, while a mains powered node will flicker the LED and then switch the LED On Solid.
If no further button presses are made, the device will terminate “command mode” 4 seconds after the last button press. The following options are available through “command mode”. The button should be pressed and released to indicate a valid button press.
Send a DING and expire any Install Mode or Range Test Mode. If the node is not joined, try and join a network.
Send a DATA message for any enabled sensors that are not reporting in ‘snap-to-time’ mode.
Leave the current network. Mains powered Nodes will automatically try and join a new network once they have left and will periodically retry the join. Battery powered nodes will go to sleep.
Run a node specific test (currently only applied to ZPS-10 nodes)
Start “install mode”. Node Pings every 15 seconds and LED pulse speed indicates strength of received reply. Automatically returns to normal operation after 5 minutes.
Reboot the node.
Factory-reset the node and perform a reboot – all settings will be lost.
Start “Range Test” mode. Device Pings every 5 seconds and LED pulse speed indicates strength of received reply. Automatically returns to normal operation after 5 minutes.